A GUI for SchemaSpy (Graphical Database Schema Metadata Browser)
- Needed additional tools/applications
- Get in touch
- Future plans
- Known issues
Download SchemaSpyGUI (0.99)
SchemaSpyGUI is a graphical user interface for the program SchemaSpy from John Currier. With SchemaSpy you can analyze the schema metadata of a database and generate a browser readable graphical representation of it.
SchemaSpy is a java-based command line tool. SchemaSpyGUI is also java-based and sits on top of it and provides a graphical interface for those of us which appreciate the comfort of windows and mouse based applications (like me ;-)). SchemaSpyGUI is distributed under the terms of the Lesser GNU Public License. Maybe the tool is useful for some of you. Feedback on problems and/or enhancements is appreciated and needed :-).
SchemaSpyGUI - Screenshot
- Control SchemaSpy completely with a graphical user interface (GUI)
- all parameters of SchemaSpy are supported (as far as i know, except the single sign on -sso and the no ads -noads flag)
- you can save/load your parameter settings (either with a quick load/save mechanism or save/load as much settings as you need)
- you can start the schema output/HTML file with a single mouse click or let it start automatically after gathering the schema details
- choose your path informations in a convenient way with a standard file chooser
- SchemaSpy output while gathering information is displayed within the GUI. No need for shell/command line affairs
- No display of your private password
- works under Windows and Linux (feedback from Mac users is welcome!)
Needed additional tools/applications
and last but not least
Download SchemaSpyGUI (0.99)
Just unpack the downloaded .zip file. Copy either the schemaspy.jar into your SchemaSpyGUI folder or copy the SchemaSpyGUI files and folders into your SchemaSpy folder.
If you are a windows user, click on schemaSpyGUI.bat. If you are working with Linux, try ./schemaSpyGUI.sh (don't forget to make it executable).
If SchemaSpyGUI will not start, then try "java -jar schemaSpyGUI.jar" at the command line (within the folder where the schemaSpyGUI.jar resides).
Get in touch
If you would like to receive update, bug-fix, enhancement notifications please register at the SchemaSpyGUI Mailing List (http://lists.joachim-uhl.de/mailman/listinfo/schemaspygui).
If you need help try the Help Forum at Sourceforge.net and if you would like to discuss something try the Open Discussion Forum at Sourceforge.net.
If you would like to contact me, please try: admin at joachim-uhl.de
- save database passwords enrypted
- usability enhancement
- rework and comment the source code
- maybe some rework on SchemaSpy itself (far in the future)
- Menue Items and Database type combo box disappear very fast after mouse click under Linux KDE with beryl window manager. No problem with metacity or kwin window manager.
- Not working under Mac OS X (throws UnsupportedClassVersionError --> confirmed by 3 test persons)